Saturday, April 4, 2009

Lesson 10

Lesson 10 - The hardest Lesson to Learn is...

I was tempted to tell you this first before I started my lessons but I left it until last because I didn't want to upset you. But I'm afraid now is the time I to have to tell you. Not that you probably haven't figured it out for yourself already. But when you enter the Web2;0 World of 1:1 Computing your productivity and perceived ability as a teacher will go backwards. You will not be as productive with your new tools as you where with the old tools and your confidence in your own teaching ability will have taken a bit of a knock this term but trust me it's just a phase.

This quote from Seth Godin’s book “Tribes” resonates well with me and reflects how you and your students are probably feeling right now:

The first rule the music business failed to understand is that, at least at first, the new thing is rarely as good as the old thing was. If you need the alternative to be better than the status quo from the very start, you’ll never begin. Soon enough, the new thing will be better than the old thing. But if you wait until then, it’s going to be too late. Feel free to wax nostalgic about the old thing, but don’t fool yourself into believing that it’s going to be here forever. It won’t. (93)



There is no time like the present to change and if you leave it too long it will be too late so you might as well just bite the bullet and go for it.

Just remember

You're never too old to learn.

The more you know the more you realise what you don't know

You get out what you put in.

So go back over those lessons I've taught you this term. Feel free to be nostalgic about how you use to teach but except, has the music industry has had to do to survive that the landscape has changed.

No comments: