Thursday, February 12, 2009

Lessons Learned from the Web2:0 World, of 1:1 Computing (Introduction)

Wow! I can't believe it, it's been nearly two months since I did my last post. Well it is summer over here you know- I was enjoying myself too much to be thinking about blogging. But now I suppose it's back to work, and oh yes the syndicate set of Classmates have arrived YIPPEE. With that in mind I've decided over the next couple of weeks, I'm going to be writing a few (well quite a few) blog entries, reflecting on the lessons I learned, from my lone journey into the Web2:0 World, of 1:1 Computing last year. These lessons will be for my colleagues in year 7, who are going to be joining me on the netbook journey this year. By reflecting on the successful and not so successful parts of last year I hope to be able to offer some valuable insight and useful advise to my team mates, which will hopefully make their journey this year that little bit easier. Please join us on our journey into the Web2:0 World, of 1:1 Computing and share your lessons learned.


Like all good journeys we will be starting at the beginning, the beginning of the ACOT's technology adoption cycle, that is, 'getting to know our new computers'. I envisage that we will progress slowly through the initial stages, as we grapple with changing our pedagogy as well as our delivery methods, discussing such issues as 21st century literacies, deep learning and digital safety along the way. While we fear not from starting at the beginning;

'The initial stages are natural and perhaps even required...'

Our challenge is t0 ensure that we do not just duplicate our present, outdated, exam driven, 19th century pedagogies online.

We have to take the challenge, to think deeply about what we are teaching and question WHY, then make a commitment to change, however hard it may initially appear.

'...the key is, educational constituents should NOT BE SATISFIED to simply see traditional learning tasks and teaching styles be digitized. Wes Fryer from Moving at the Speed of Creativity

We have to do better.
We have to aim higher.
We have to change our pedagogy.

Lesson 1-Next-It Pays to Get Familiar.

No comments: