Tuesday, August 26, 2008

A Day With The Iphone

Well I had the opportunity to spend a day with an iphone, after a friend offered to leave theirs with me. Actually it wasn't theirs, they had been loaned it by Vodafone, which was great as I didn't have to worry about the data charges.
The user interface (UI) and aesthetics were just outstanding and made my P990 look and feel like a brick. It immediately found the school wireless and connected seamlessly, without any technical input required. The browser was outstanding and everything I had hoped it would be and it was quick between applications. I liked the maps function, but you really have to have a need for it to use it. The ipod sounded great and despite what some forums are saying, it connected to our Exchange server with no problems at all. What I did like was that all your email sub folders were also displayed, unlike on my p990 using the Dataviz Activesync application. The contacts and calendar also worked well and when I could also play the Flight of the Conchords from the Youtube site on a great looking screen I was hooked. Everybody I showed loved the look and feel and the kids thought it was fantastic, although they all thought it was very expensive.
At this point you are probably thinking that I went out and got one the next day. Well when I gave it back and then played with my phone I realised that, not only were there things it didn't have, but that if I did get one ,the step up in technology would be really small, compared to the one I had made going from my Nokia 6600 to the Sony Ericsson p990.
I know I will get one, but the urgency is no longer as high as it was. It's a great phone, but not that great to get tied into a 2 year contract (pay $849 for the handset and $40 a month on their cheapest plan) or pay a whopping $1129 just for the handset to Vodafone or in fact anybody.

No comments: